The art of surprise
Every relationship needs some spontaneity to spice things up, something unexpected to keep you on your toes. This past weekend I threw my husband a surprise party for his 25th birthday. He had absolutely no clue that 30 of his closest friends were coming in to town to celebrate with him, and he was completely surprised! (Plus, he is not a gifts love language kind of guy, but quality time is huge to him, so the party worked perfect as a birthday gift!)
However, you don’t have to wait until your spouse’s birthday to have some fun and do something spontaneous. Here are some everyday ideas to surprise your spouse and change up the routine (with a little help from thenest.com):
1. Stuff a love note in their wallet or purse, or tuck it in their lunch box.
2. Change the desktop wallpaper to a cute photo of you two on your spouse’s home computer.
3. Burn a CD with tunes from your dating days and include your first dance or favorite song.
4. Become interested in your spouse’s interests. Do some research on his favorite sports team or her favorite musician and have an educated discussion at dinner with your new-found facts.
5. Forget breakfast in bed. Have dinner in bed (and don’t worry about the crumbs).
6. Go to bed early. No books, no BlackBerry, no remote.