As each day passes, I can subtract one less day from my countdown until graduation. I have dreamt of this day for so long, and it is almost here! Looking back, I can remember myself saying in middle school, “I wish I was in high school with my older sister.” OR, the times I was in middle school and I was itching to be in high school. Then of course, I was that senior girl who could not wait to march out of high school and move on to bigger and better opportunities. Now I am a senior in college, graduating in less than 8 weeks, and I do not have an inkling of what I will be doing once school is completed. Honestly, school and sports have been my life for as long as I can remember. As embarrassing as it may sound, I haven’t the slightest clue what it is like to pay a bill, live on my own, or let alone….cook.
Below are FIVE tips of what I think you ‘should know’ as you graduate from college:
- Do not stress – Just because you have not found “the job” yet and it seems like everyone else around you may have leads, or you feel pressure from others, DO NOT ALLOW IT. It is all a mind-set; everyone else is most likely in the same boat as you.
- Absorb as much about life as possible– learn how to file your taxes, how to cook, how to pay bills, and how to portion out your petite income. Learn the most basic things in life because soon, you will be on your own.
- Network– Get to know as many people as possible. Also, be nice to everyone because you may never know when you might “meet up” with them again in life. They could be your future boss some day.
- Begin your job search EARLY– Do not wait until the last minute. This can be a long process between on-the-phone interviews, the first round interview, and then the waiting, or the second interview.
- Patience, Patience, Patience – You may want so many things in life, but can’t have them yet. So I encourage you to live day by day.