I know all of you faithful readers have been wondering where the 5th wife went! The reason my last blog post was in November is because I had a baby! And I am now a contracted employee for MMJ, working from home. While I absolutely love this new change in my life, I’d like to tell you that it all went smooth and came quite naturally, but that would be a lie.
Bringing home a baby was a big adjustment, especially for our marriage. One of the many things I have learned from working at MMJ is that the first year after your first child is born is one of the most difficult years of marriage, and soon after Max arrived Brandon and I found ourselves living the same story as everyone else:
- Brandon felt neglected because all of my attention was focused on Max.
- I was cranky and cried a lot thanks to the hormones, and lack of sleep.
- We had to juggle new duties such as deciding who should get up at 2 a.m. to change a diaper.
- I felt trapped at home, and angry that Brandon’s life seemed to be moving on.
- We needed more one-on-one time, sans Max.
- And of course, there’s that thing that’s so important to every marriage that you can’t really do for about 6 weeks…
But one night we had a major breakthrough. We TALKED about it. And both of us were open to hear what the other person had to say. I realized that just because I knew what to expect, didn’t mean it wasn’t going to still happen. This turning point helped us realize that our marriage will have bumps and valleys no matter what, but the key is to not freak out, understand it’s normal, and communicate, communicate, communicate.
Now it’s only been 4 months, so we’re no experts yet. However, our marriage has grown so much from this experience and although it’s not perfect, we couldn’t be happier. This little bundle of joy has changed our lives and we love him so much! Look at those cheeks, how could you not?